Carare

Content highlights 2020

Publishing in EUROPEANA through CARARE in 2020 - some highlights from the collections

Game_Piece.jpg

Ivory Game Piece with Animals - The Hunt Museum

An ivory game-piece from the Hunt Museum's collections. The piece is probably a draughtsman and shows two animals.

View on Europeana

The-judgement-of-Paris.jpg

The Judgment of Paris. Mosaic of los Amores, Castulo (Linares, Spain) - Instituto de Arqueología Ibérica-Universidad de Jaén

The Mosaic of the Loves was discovered during excavations at Cástulo in 2011. This scene depicts the Judgment of Paris and is made with stone tesserae and vitreous paste. Aphrodite, Hera and Athena have been brought by Hermes before Paris who was asked by Zeus to decide who was the most beautiful.

View on Europeana

Kells.jpg

Market Cross, Kells (3D Model) - The Discovery Programme

This cross stood at the junction of Market Street and Castle Street in Kells and became known as the Market Cross. It is thought to have been a boundary cross marking the perimeter of the monastery of Ceanannus. The base is decorated with hunting and riding scenes while the shaft and cross itself are decorated with scenes from the bible.

View on Europeana

Watermill.jpg

Animated medieval watermill - visualdimension

This historically correct animated 3D model of a 13th century watermill is based upon an excavation by INRAP in Thervay, France, and a mill which has been physically reconstructed and is operated by the Guédelon project in France.

View on Europeana

Pyxid

Pyxid or inkwell (MAN 10918) - Musée d'Archéologie nationale - Domaine national de Saint-Germain-en-Laye

This Pyxid or inkwell in bronze and millefiori glass is from the Pas-de-Calais and dates to the 2nd-3rd century. The inkwell is just 6 centimetres high and 5 cm across but the patterns made by the millefiori glass are very fine.

View on Europeana

Kolossi.jpg

Kolossi castle - Cyprus University of Technology

Kolossi castle is a medieval castle built in the 15th century A.D. It was captured in 3D by Cyprus University of Technology who have made their model, images and other documentation available via Europeana.

View on Europeana

Bowl

Deep bowl with receding rim on three legs - Kings Museum of Art and History

This three-legged bowl with receding rim is typical of the El Argar culture and was excavated in the southeast of Spain by the Siret brothers and later deposited at the Kings Museum in Brussels. These hand shaped vessels with two small buttons under the rim and dark, polished surfaces come from funerary contexts.

View on Europeana

Municipal-Assembly-building.jpg

Municipal Assembly building, Apatin - eheritage.si, Urbanistični inštitut Republike Slovenije

The Municipal Assembly building in the center of Apatin in Serbia was designed by the famous architect Ferenz Reichl. It is representative of the secession style and was built between 1907 to 1909.

View on Europeana

Farnese-Atlas-.jpg

Farnese Atlas - University of Bologna

The statue of Atlas kneeling with the celestial sphere on his shoulders is decorated with low reliefs depicting the 41 classical Greek constellations itentified by Ptolemy. This statue is a Roman copy of an original Hellenistic statue and was found in Rome. It was acquired by Cardinal Alessandro Farnese in 1562 and became known as the Farnese Atlas.

View on Europeana

ring.jpg

Renaissance finger ring - KNAW-DANS

A gold finger ring with enameling and a box-shaped bezel containing a gemstone, which dates to the Renaissance or Early Modern Period.

View on Europeana

The-castle-of-300-towers.jpg

El castillo de las 300 torres - ADD4D.org

Ramón Muntaner (1265-1336), a Catalan gentleman and writer referred in his chronicle to the Castle of Onda and its walled enclosure as "of the 300 Towers". The fortress was built by the Muslims in the 10th century on the ruins of ancient Iberian and Roman settlements. View on Europeana

The-Manor-House-Bishampton.jpg

The Manor House Bishampton - Archaeology Data Service

Photograph of the manor house at Bishampton taken around 1960 by Freddie and Mary Charles. Architects and internationally acclaimed experts in the conservation of timber-framed buildings the couple documented hundreds such buildings in England during restoration projects.

View on Europeana